“We can’t always ensure new technologies will bring only positive changes, but with CHIA’s work we can put humans at the centre of every stage of AI development – basic research, application, commercialisation and policymaking – to help ensure the AI of the future benefits everyone.”
Professor Professor David Cardwell, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Strategy and Planning, University of Cambridge
On Wednesday 8 February 2023 a special event was held to celebrate the official launch of CHIA together with representatives from the University of Cambridge and from the many sectors that CHIA is keen to work with.
CHIA’s launch event programme
– Welcome remarks by Professor David Cardwell, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Strategy and Planning
– Overview of CHIA’s vision by the Centre Director Professor Anna Korhonen
– A speech by Professor Anne Ferguson Smith, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and International Relations
– A panel discussion that reflected on the importance of partnerships in the development of AI, in particular those between academia and industry.
The panel, chaired Professor Andy Neely, Senior Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Enterprise and Business Relations, involved the following speakers:
Professor Zoubin Ghahramani, VP of Research at Google, lead of Google Brain, Professor of Information Engineering at the University of Cambridge
Professor Jenny Gibson, Professor of Developmental Psychology at the University of Cambridge, an Associate Director of CHIA, a Chief Scientist, Mission Director at Nesta
Dr Cecily Morrison, MBE, Principal Research Manager at Microsoft Research in Cambridge
Dr Robert Vandersluis, VP of Artificial Intelligence at GSK
– Closing remarks by Professor Andy Neely
– A lunch and poster session featuring the diversity of research conducted within our research programmes